Tuesday, April 16, 2013

"The Art of Coaching"

I recently began reading Elena Aguilar's "The Art of Coaching."  She sets forth a new model, called "transformational coaching." Even though it is early in my reading, one piece, found on page 11, has already resonated with me:

"In addition, the potential of coaching cannot be realized if certain conditions are not in place.  Daniel Coyle, author of The Talent Code (2009), describes coaches as farmers who cultivate talent in others.  As someone who has long admired the patience, attentiveness, and groundedness of farmers, I love this analogy.  it is also apt when considering what needs to be in place for coaching to be effective: the land must be fertile, invasive weeds need to have been removed, and the seeds can't be old and moldy.  A farmer must be aware of local climate -- you can't plant pineapples in Alaska and expect them to thrive."

Michelle and I had a conversation this morning about the farmer metaphor.  Michelle's metaphor for coaching is one of a gardener, with some easy comparisons to the farmer, yet a lot of deeper meaning for her when she thinks of a garden instead of a field.  I'm not sure yet what my metaphor is -- not that it is required I have one -- but I do believe that metaphors help all of us see our vision more clearly.

I've often thought of teaching in terms of tossing pebbles into a pond.  We see immediate ripples on the surface, and watch them them slowly spread outward.  Even when we no longer see a disturbance on the surface, the impact of the pebbles is till being felt below the surface.  At this point, I suspect I see coaching through this lens as well, but as I read and learn each day, I choose to be open to other visions.

--JWalton

No comments:

Post a Comment