Monday, September 2, 2013

When Hard = Fun

"I hate the idea that, when it comes to books and learning, hard is often seen as the opposite of fun.  It's strange to me that we should be so quick to give up on a book or a math problem when we are so willing to grapple, for centuries if necessary, with a single level of Angry Birds."   John Green

This quote resonated with me when I first came across it, and I thought it would make a good “signature” quote for my outgoing email messages.  Within a few days, I also really began to think more deeply about it.  Why don’t we approach “hard” school learning with that same persistence, zeal, and eagerness? Why is “hard” not "fun" when it happens in school? 

I don’t have the answer, but I do have more questions.  Is the “win” in learning, which will stay with the student forever, seen as less valuable than a fleeting satisfaction of achieving a level in a competitive game?   Is it because K-12 education is compulsory, and theoretically not a choice?  Do we as teachers see our students as an audience we hold captive, rather than an audience we could captivate?

And then, I try to see what this kind of fun would look like.  I am picturing a student reading a very complex text, and after days of tackling it, shouting “yes! I conquered it!  I’ve mastered that level, and I can’t wait to do the same to the next one!”  Or another student remarking to friends, “I’m addicted to story problems; I stay up late doing them because I can’t get enough. The app is free – download it. I’ll show you some of the tricks to be successful.”  Far-fetched?  A fantasy?  I hope not.


What do you think?



J. Walton

No comments:

Post a Comment